Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Back to the Basics

I was in out tonight and two of my friends who are girls and who snowboard were getting super fired up telling me about all the new gear they got for Christmas. They got totally new setups and a bunch of softgoods and shit, all pretty legit stuff. I can't even begin to hate on them for being psyched on getting hooked up with tight presents, and I definitely can't hate on them for wanting to ride decent boards. I realize that the livlihood of the the snowboard industry is entirely dependent on these purchases. Expensive boards are out there and people are buying them, that's totally understandable, but I also think it is important to remember that it is not the board that matters but more importantly what happens on the board.

The girls are real cool and I listened patiently as they ran down their wish list turned reality, because as it's mid January I was excited to hear about any riding they had done this season and actually talk about snowboarding. Unfortunately this conversation was never realized and their excitement turned to indifference as they told me that the shitty weather as of late had prevented them from making it out at all this season. They're totally right, the weather has been absolutely beat all winter, if you can call it that, but at the end of the day there is still snowboarding to be had, it's out there! If I had gotten a whole new setup on Dec. 25th, which was almost a months ago, who knows what I would have done to actually ride the thing. My piece of shit board is getting even more piece of shittier as this poor excuse for a January drags on, but I'm just thankful I've been snowboarding at all! But I digress, there was a point to this post, and being preachy about all of this wasn't it. Everyone snowboards for different reasons, I get that, and who am I to judge someone for having other priorities in life? I'm just glad to know there are people out there hiking through slush with hand me down boards all in the search of getting some.

When in doubt and in need of some reassurance push play on Kael Hill's Dope 2 part and all is right with the world.

OUTRAGE

No comments: